What a difference three months make, kiddoes! I hope you took the opportunity to read up on some of our favorite Broadway theatre books and learn about some of the amazing shows the Great White Way has put on over the years—one or two of mine are in there. If you were too busy sunning & funning, do not fret just read all about it in our archives.
Here in HOJ-land, aka the wonderful world inside the Harlow Ophelia Jackson Mystery series, we’ve spent our summer swimming, shopping, reading, and meeting wonderful new people among other things.
It was a low-key season, no Harlem Book Fair for us this year, but we did attend the Writer’s Digest Conference in NYC. We talked books, bought too many books, and sat in on fascinating sessions on craft and panels such as:
- You Haven’t Scene This Before: Creating Unique & Compelling Settings. Heather Webb
- Getting Intimate with Your Characters: Learn to Master Point of View for Dazzling Character Development. Jordan Rosenfeld
- Research for the Historical Novel: A Journey from Now to Then and Back Again. Donna Russo Morin
- Panel: Writing about Yesterday, Today: The Art & Business of Historical Fiction. Donna Russo Morin, Heather Webb, Kim Van Alkemade, Kristen Harnisch
- Panel: “You Know My Methods, Watson” or: Secrets to Succeeding as a Mystery Writer Libby Cudmore, Reed Farrel Coleman, Jane K. Cleland, Evan Marshall. (Paula Munier, Moderator)
There were also two amazing keynote speakers: Kwame Alexander, who gave a rousing speech on “Saying Yes to the Writerly Life” and David Baldacci, who gave a funny, charming talk called “Why I Write”.
All the people we chatted with, new authors we discovered, and lessons we learned will take us through the rest of the year and well into the new year. Here’s to saying yes to the writerly life & fall fashion!
Coming Up: The Brooklyn Book Festival!